We released the book. Now, we have launched our Successful Manager’s Roadmap Development Program, and we want to share the results with you. There are lessons to learn as you consider management training for your company.
What do you hope to achieve when you send managers to ‘management’ training?
Most people would agree that you want your managers to apply what they have learned and become better managers. However, we know that most participants of traditional training programs retain roughly 10% of what they have learned just weeks after the program ends, let alone apply it in their work.
In launching the Successful Manager’s Roadmap Development Program in April, our goal was not just retention of information, but actual on-the-job application of the training. We had a diverse group of twelve managers with varied levels of experience from three companies.
Our Program is unique in that we portion out the learning into three all-day sessions over three months, provide coaching between the sessions, and require participants to do homework. It is also unique in that it’s holistic; managers get a comprehensive approach to engaging employees and building a strong productive team. We conduct the program in small group sessions so that participants fully participate in the discussions and exercises.
We’re still collecting feedback on the Successful Manager’s Roadmap Program, but the results to date have been excellent. Here are some key outcomes and findings:
· All twelve managers replied “Yes” when asked if they would recommend the program to someone who was considering it.
· When asked why they would recommend the program, common themes that emerged were the tools they acquired, the required homework, space for growth and learning, and the high level of interaction.
· On a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being ‘Strongly Agree’), our participants’ collective score was 4.92 on the question, “I will use the information I learned in my job as a manager.”
· On the same scale, participants’ collective score was 4.75 on the question, “I plan to implement what I learned today with my team.”
· The success of the April program was also due to the high quality of managers who participated. They all wanted to be there and to grow their management and leadership skills.
In addition to the quantitative and qualitative feedback, we have the anecdotal stories of managers talking about their individual wins with their employees and team. In fact, we know participants have already applied what they learned on the job.
Many have relayed they are much more effective in forming positive relationships with their employees and even with their own managers. After learning how to communicate expected results via SMARTer goals, one manager reported that she is seeing better results from her team. Several others have reported that, through their participation in the program, they are now able to approach their management role with a greater level of confidence.
The future of the group
All twelve managers want to stay connected with the group and continue their growth through our Roadmap Alumni Program. That program will kick off in September.
The results above are just a few of the key findings from our April program launch. We know the Successful Manager’s Roadmap Development Program directly impacted the performance of these twelve managers. To understand whether the results will be sustained, we will collect additional feedback three, six, nine, and twelve months after completion of the program. In next month’s blog, we’ll share more stories of success from our managers.
If you would like to discuss these findings in more detail, please feel free to call or e-mail us to schedule a time to meet.
We will be launching another Program in October. Please, let us know if you would like to discuss your management training needs and to better understand whether the Successful Manager’s Roadmap Development Program would be a good fit for you.